WISDOM SERIES: WISDOM OF THE CROSS (I)
Excerpts from a sermon on “Wisdom of the Cross”
DATE: October 05 2008
Church: Champions Pariah, Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) Edmonton, AB Canada
Minister: Joseph Agbi
Bible Nugget 0409 [2 Corinthians 5:19]
19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
Today we begin a very important series, the foundation on which this gospel outreach is based. It is called the wisdom of the cross. Something outstanding had to happen for God to turn rebellious man back to himself. One thing that can be compared in minuscule proportion to this glorious divine act is what is commonly called ‘miracle’. Jesus rebuking the Pharisees, and scorners who came to his meetings said except you see a miracle, you will not believe. So he performed one for them to see. Some believed, and some did not.
We will start from the basics and then build up the sermon.
What is Wisdom?
Wisdom is defined as knowledge guided by understanding.
Connection of Wisdom to Power and Authority
If you have power and authority and you are not wise, you can lose the power and authority in a moment of time. Examples are
• Monarchical Power: A king who does not rule by wisdom soon loses the respect of his people. They begin to disobey him in their words or action.
• Moral & Spiritual Power: For example, Men of God who fall into sin.
Wisdom and knowledge of God Described
• The wisdom of God described in one sentence.
It is deep, rich, unsearchable and past finding out.
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
The Fall of Man
• God’s love for us never ends. He created us to have fellowship with him.
• He values man as his most precious creation. Because man was created in the image of God [Gen 1v26].
• Man trespassed in the garden of Eden
• Adam fell and lost the glory God asked Adam “where are you”.
God could not accept the sin of Adam for two reasons.
- Man was made in the Image of God, and God gave him authority over his creation Gen 1:26
26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
- God’s eyes are pure, he does not behold iniquity. [Hab 1: 13]
13Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?
God’s Redemptive Plan Jump Started at Eden
• God’s battle with the enemy of our souls is like a general who goes to war and will not accept defeat when the enemy comes for a raid and the enemy gains temporary victory. An example was when David’s camp was raided by the enemy.
1 Sam 30 v 1-3
1And it came to pass, when David and his men were come to Ziklag on the third day, that the Amalekites had invaded the south, and Ziklag, and smitten Ziklag, and burned it with fire;
2And had taken the women captives, that were therein: they slew not any, either great or small, but carried them away, and went on their way.
3So David and his men came to the city, and, behold, it was burned with fire; and their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, were taken captives.
David’s love for his family and his soldiers families drove them to arise from distress, seek God’s face and take the battle to the gates of the enemy.
Similarly, the world is the kingdom of the enemy and God is fighting through the death of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit to reclaim or reconcile us who are domiciled in the world back to himself. That is what our nugget scripture is making us to understand.
God jump started redemption right from the day man fell. Adam and eve covered themselves with fig leaves [the foolishness of man’s devised religion] but God said that is not enough to restore my glory. He covered man with animal skin, having shed the blood of animal because the without the shedding of blood there can be no remission of sin. God has made provision for your salvation. Accept Jesus today if you have not done so.
Prayer Points 0409
Prayer of Salvation: Oh Lord thank you for including me in your redemptive plan. I ask for your mercy. I accept I am a sinner. I ask for the blood of Jesus to wash my heart clean. Lord Jesus come into my heart. Holy Spirit dwell in my heart. I will not go back to my sins or allow the devil to be my master. I will walk with you Lord. Light my path daily and make me heavenly conscious all the days of my life in Jesus Name. Thank you for not allowing me to die in my sins. Thank you for reconciling me back to yourself in Jesus Name.
If you are already saved, thank God for your salvation and pray these two prayer points.
- Lord fill me inside with your wisdom. Make my heart to be intimate with your Holy Spirit. Lead me through all the battles I encounter in this world in the mighty name of Jesus.
- Oh Lord, let me carry your full image, spirit, soul and body. I will walk in your glory and your power you have covered me with in the mighty Name of Jesus.